Cummins is excited to announce the launch of our “RePower Profile” series, featuring technical information and unique facts about vehicles repowered with the R2.8 Turbo Diesel.
First in the line-up of “Repower Profiles” is our own Jeep Wrangler (TJ). This Wrangler started life as an ordinary Jeep, but with help of dedicated Cummins engineers and Axis Industries, it was the first test vehicle to have an R2.8 Turbo Diesel under the hood.
The maiden voyage for this Jeep was a six hour drive to Toledo, OH for the first Toledo Jeep Fest. Since then, this Jeep has had more than 20,000 trouble free miles added to the odometer and continues to be both a fan and employee favorite, as it makes the rounds on engineering and marketing trips.
- Year: 2000 (emissions exempted test vehicle)
- Make: Jeep
- Model: Wrangler TJ – Sahara
- Engine: Cummins Repower R2.8L Turbo Diesel
- Motor Mounts: Axis Industries USA
- Transmission: original equipment NV3550 five-speed manual
- Transmission Adapter: Axis Industries USA 4.0L adapter
- Transfer case(s): original equipment NP231
- Front axle/differential: original equipment Dana 30, 3.73:1 gears
- Rear axle/differential: original equipment Dana 35, 3.73:1 gears
- Radiator: Stock TJ 4.0L radiator
- Fan: Spal 16” electric with shroud
- Charge Air Cooler: Axis Industries USA
- Front: 2-in-lift Tera Flex springs/shocks, WJ lower control arms
- Rear: 2-in-lift Tera Flex springs/shocks
- Steering: Original Equipment
- Tires: 31×10.50R17 Goodyear Duratrac
- Wheels: 17×7 10-hole steel wheels (2005 Dodge Magnum)
- Lighting: Original Equipment
- Armor: ProComp front and rear bumpers
- Hood: Daystar hood latches
- Fuel Tank: Original Equipment with Axis Industries USA fuel pump bypass
- Not moving the location of the factory transmission allows for stock driveshafts to be retained. No suspension lift required to install the engine.